Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Discipline

The Lord has quietly laid intentional scripture memorization on my heart for some time. I have quietly ignored it. I didn't have time or didn't know where to start or how to go about it.

One day, this book caught my eye on DG, so I downloaded myself a copy. And, it sat on my desktop.

My story of discipline picks up on the other side of the world.

During my quiet time in the early morning on a recent trip to China, the Lord was telling me to store up His words. I am so grateful for being stuck in traffic for 2 hours in Beijing one day so this could be confirmed by a dear friend and a dear conversation.

However, more than that conversation, it was confirmed simply by my proximity to persecution for 5 short days in April. Maria's Big House of Hope is neighbors with a prison. Apparently, there are many Christians in Luoyang and many underground churches. We were told there have been several arrests of pastors in the area and they were...right next door.

This may sound naive, but I had never felt "so close" to active persecution, to evil. My brothers and sisters are losing everything for their faith. They had stored up God's words because they knew they wouldn't always have their Bible with them.

Needless to say, God is teaching me this discipline. I have started memorizing Ephesians using the book, "An Approach to Extended Memorization of Scripture" By A. Davis as a guide. It's really overwhelming, but even after a few days, I notice a change in focus. When my mind wonders during the day, it wonders to Ephesians.

I am grateful for a Father who pursues me with what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment